3.03.2009

Yeast Free, Gluten Free Portobello Sandwich


I found yeast free, gluten free bread!!! This bread should have just been labeled “Bread made specifically for Sharon”. I could not believe that there are enough people out there who cannot eat yeast or gluten. After purchasing this from the health food store, I realized that I had forgotten even what to do with bread.

(Gasp!) “I can make a sandwich!” I exclaimed to my mother, who was in the car with me. “Oh my God, I can make a SANDWICH!”


“You can even make…TOAST!” she cried back.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from gluten free, yeast free bread, but it tasted surprisingly…like bread! The texture resembled that of sourdough (from what I remember of sourdough bread). The package stated that it was recommended to toast the bread, which is what I did. I haven’t tried it untoasted yet…

I figured a Portobello sandwich with soy cheese and spinach was the perfect way to dive back into bread eating!

PS. I ate toast this morning for breakfast!!!

(I regret that I am unable to find a website to credit this wondrous bread, however, I posted a picture and I believe the brand is called “Kinninnick Foods”. It also looks like you can order some of their products here on glutenfree.com)


Yeast Free, Gluten Free Portobello Sandwich

2 slices Kinninnick Foods Yeast Free, Gluten Free bread toasted
1 Portobello mushroom cap (dusted and stem cut off)
Handful of spinach
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/8 c soy cheese cubed
Approx 1 tbsp dried rosemary

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine, Portobello mushroom cap, rosemary, olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a baking dish and bake 15-20 min until near done. With about 1-2 minutes cooking time remaining, lay the soy cheese on top of the mushroom cap and place back in the oven until the cheese is melted and the mushroom is done. Stack the Portobello mushroom and spinach, and any other fixings you may desire, between the two slices of toasted bread. EAT THE BREAD!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should check out Ener-G breads. YOu can even have english muffins. :O

Andréa T. dos Reis Delage said...

humm! "pão de tapioca"! cela doit être bon... au brésil, plus précisément au nord-est, nous faisons des crêpes avec cela AND IT'IS VERY GOOD!

bisou, ma belle ;*

Ameet Maturu said...

Hi Sharon, I think I've seen this bread at Whole Foods in New York. I will give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous said...

http://consumer.kinnikinnick.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/consumer.home.html