2.10.2009

Sautéed Polenta and Mixed Vegetables


The winter weather has subsided for the past two days which means that I no longer crave a starchy bowl of brown rice and butter; I even ate a salad yesterday for lunch! Yes, a salad! In efforts to make a light, veggie friendly dish and to use the last of the polenta, I came up with this easy meal. Keep the veggies crisp and fresh, to maintain most of their nutritional benefits, and to keep the meal light yet satisfying. It is almost like eating a salad but with just a slightly warmer feel; after all it isn’t summer yet!

Sautéed Polenta and Mixed Vegetables

Feel free to substitute vegetables/beans of your choice; allow about 1c total veggies/person, 1/4c beans, and 1/4c chopped polenta

I used:
¼ carrot sliced with a peeler
1 extra large Swiss chard leaf and stem (chopped)
¼ small red bell pepper thinly sliced
2 large asparagus spears chopped
1/4c canned lentils
1/4c chopped polenta
1tsp olive oil
Pinch sea salt

Combine carrot ribbons, chopped Swiss chard stem, pepper, asparagus, lentils, polenta and oil in a pan. Stir to lightly coat polenta and veggies in the olive oil. Heat over medium heat for about 10 minutes until veggies are cooked, yet still crisp and until polenta is slightly browned. With about 2 minutes of cooking time remaining stir in the pieces of Swiss chard leaf and cook until slightly wilted.

Serve and add a pinch of sea salt to taste.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Jarrard said...

That is so beautiful! What a lovely assortment of vegetables to brighten up the winter!

Andréa T. dos Reis Delage said...

It seems good... humm...

Mindy said...

This looks so good! I love polenta, and as a new CSA member, I'm sure I'll have veggies I won't know what to do with...I'll keep this in mind!