10.29.2008

Beautiful Beet Juice



I have a juicer! My advanced apologies if go a bit overboard with juice posting.

My favorite vegetables/fruits to juice (before today) were tomatoes, apples, carrots, ginger and fennel. However, as of today, beetroot quickly made its way to my number one favorite vegetable to juice. Maybe it’s the natural sweetness of the beet, maybe it’s the deep magenta color, maybe it’s the small layer of tasty foam that rises to the top of the juice…whatever it is, I am hooked, and I think you should be too.

Beets are high in Vitamin A, soluble and insoluble fiber, and also antioxidants. When consumed regularly, they have also been associated with lowering the risk of heart disease and certain cancers (specifically colon cancer). In ancient Roman times, beetroot was used as a treatment for fevers and constipation, and also considered an aphrodisiac. Beet juice for two, anyone?

Beautiful Beet Juice
Makes about 16oz

1 large beetroot washed
½ large carrot washed
¼ large English cucumber washed
1 pinch sea salt

**Special Note: All juicers vary in their skin removing abilities. Mine happens to remove skins such as carrot, apple, beetroot and other thin skinned fruits and veggies. If yours does not, or if you are unsure, I suggest peeling the skins before hand.**

Combine beetroot, carrot and cucumber in a juicer and juice according to your manufacturer’s instructions. Stir in a pinch of salt to taste right before drinking.

4 comments:

lowbeam said...

I love beet juice- along with beet & carrot I will sometimes add a small tart apple. Delicious!! I will have to try it with cucumber.

Kate said...

3 things popped into my head when deciding what to write.

1. i bet doug funny would agree with you, he loved the Beets, especially their hit song killer tofu.

2. I bet Dwight Schrute would agree with you and also attempt to sell you the beets from his farm.

3. I feel like you don't watch tv as I do, and my television references are lost.

Miss you.

havecakewilltravel.com said...

the color is unbelievable! I'm in awe.
also: yay, you're back!!

Sharon said...

i know! can you believe it! i didn't enhance the photo in any way! i almost didn't want to drink it, it was too pretty!