8.13.2008

Sweet n’Salty Avocado-Stuffed Dried Apricot Hors d’Oeuvres



I have had dried apricots sitting in my pantry for a while now and all that I ever do with them is cut them up and put them on a salad. I enjoy how they are sweet, but accompany salty foods quite nicely. Pressed to use my almost-over-ripe-avocado, I thought it would make a great soft stuffing in a nice and sweet dried apricot. A sprinkling of coriander and sea salt gives these sweet hors d’oeuvres an exotic twist. They are really easy to make but unique enough to catch attention at any party.

Sweet n’Salty Avocado-Stuffed Dried Apricot Hors d’Oeuvres
1 avocado stuffs about 16 dried apricots

1 avocado
16 dried apricots
Corriander
Sea Salt

If you look closely at the apricots you will find a slight indentation where you can carefully open them and split them in half. Split each apricot enough to stuff but leave one end closed (almost resembling an apricot pita).

Cut the avocado in half and remove the core. Remove the avocado from its skin and cut into small 1/2inch x 1/2inch pieces. Place each piece of avocado into the previously split dried apricots. Sprinkle with coriander and sea salt according to your personal taste preference; I used about 1/8 tsp of coriander and sea salt for every 4 apricots. I also suggest using a coarse grain sea salt as it adds a slight crunch.

Push a toothpick through each hors d’oeuvre if you so desire and serve!

5 comments:

Jennifer Carden said...

I really like these they would make good kid food too!

Celine said...

what a pretty, nifty, and unusual idea!

Maggie said...

Great idea!

Hillary said...

Very interesting idea for an hors d'eurve!

NIS3R said...

nice! i have some almost bad apricots i can dehydrate and use for this! neat idea! :D