5.10.2008

Chickpea Flour Zucchini Bread


I have to stress that this bread is super moist and melts delectably on your tongue. It is so moist and delicious that I believe I actually made “Mmmmm” noises while letting it melt in my mouth. I may have even closed my eyes to take in the full experience…

Ok enough describing the moistness, or I will want to go eat another piece!

PS. My roommate even commented on how moist this bread was!

Ok no more about the moistness, I promise.

Anyway, chickpea flour goes a long way, in this recipe, adding protein, density, and, let’s not forget, a slight irresistible chickpea flavor. Whole wheat pastry flour balances out the dense chickpea flour, giving it a light and fluffy texture, producing a wonderful zucchini bread! Not to mention a moist one! (Sorry I couldn’t resist!)

I used agave nectar to sweeten the bread; I also added just a touch of masala powder and cinnamon because I love the way their flavors combine with that of the chickpea’s.

While this zucchini bread is amazing on its own, I also admit that spreading a small amount of almond butter on top is also not so bad…

Did I mention how moist and luscious this zucchini bread is?

Chickpea Flour Zucchini Bread
Makes one loaf

1 ½ flour total: ½ + ¼ c whole wheat pastry flour, ½ + ¼ c chickpea flour (sifted)
1 ½ eggs
¼ c butter
¾ c agave nectar
1c zucchini (chopped)
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp masala powder
½ tsp + 1 pinch cinnamon (the pinch is for a coating at the end)

(I consulted 101 Cookbook’s and Smitten Kitchen’s recipes for flour:baking powder:baking soda: egg ratios.)

Prep work: Preheat oven to 350F and place a rack in the center of the oven. Butter a loaf pan; don’t forget the corners and the sides (the bread will rise!). Chop enough zucchini (with skins) to fill one cup. I used about half of a large zucchini and chopped it using the food processor. If you use the food processor, the zucchini will become very moist; remove the chopped zucchini from the food processor and press in between paper towels until you are ready to add it to the ingredients.

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Be sure you sift or pass the chickpea flour through a strainer. It can get very clumpy and grainy and creates hard, brittle bread if not sifted.

In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the first egg and beat again until evenly combined. Crack the second egg, leaving the egg in the bottom half of the shell. Using the top half of the shell, scoop out half of the egg (yolk and white included) into the mixture and beat again. While beating, add the agave nectar and vanilla extract. Fold in the zucchini using a wooden spoon.

Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold gently until combined. Repeat two more times using all of the dry ingredients. Be sure not to over mix; this step requires just a gentle folding of the dry ingredients into the wet. As soon as there are no dry spots, stop folding and add the next third.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Evenly distribute the batter using either a spatula or a wooden spoon. Add a pinch of cinnamon to lightly coat the top and make a swirl design using a toothpick.

Bake for 40 minutes on the middle rack. Immediately remove the loaf and let cool. The loaf will be slightly undercooked but take it out anyway! If you have a trace of moisture on your cake tester, that is normal. Like cookies, the bread will still cook in the hot pan. If you remove the bread from the oven when it is fully cooked, it will actually overcook and lose its moisture while cooling. Let the loaf cool fully before cutting (it cuts much nicer when fully cooled!).

*Note: I like my baked goods very moist; if you do not, you could bake the bread anywhere from 42-47 minutes or according to your personal preference. However, I think any longer than 40 minutes will make the bread too dry. Don't say I didn't warn you!

8 comments:

Celine said...

it looks and sounds scrumptious! I have a bag of chickpea flour to finish off, so I might use your recipe, subbing something for the eggs. thank you!

Jaya said...

Your blog is beautiful and so welcoming! I came upon it and was really inspired by your creativity with foods. i would love to try out this bread, being that our Indian kitchen is always stocked with chickpea flour, but I'm not entirely clear on the flour breakdown. are you stating 1 1/2 c total of flour, divided between ww and chickpea? Or are you saying 1/5c flour +1/2 to 1/4c ww a+ 1/2 to 1/4c chickpea? Thanks in advance!
Jaya :)

Sharon said...

yes I'm sorry for the confusion! The spacing became a bit off and the flour measurments were not as clear. It's 1 1/2 c total which means equal parts of WWP flour and chickpea flour. 1/2 + 1/4 c of each. hope that helps!

Kevin said...

Nice looking zucchini bread. I like that it is nice and moist. :) I am looking forward to the local zucchinis to start showing up at the farmers market.

Coffee & Vanilla said...

Sounds delicious Sharon :)
I may try this recipe very soon,
Margot

Summers Love said...

Hello! I tried this bread after seeing my friend from NYC bake it and stick it on her Flickr photostream. I didn't know this blog existed before then, but the second I found out about it, I subscribed via RSS!

I just want to say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this bread... it is sooooooo good, and it has such a unique flavor, something I haven't tasted before... I am addicted! Mine wasn't that moist because I ended up baking it 44 mins, it was perfect for me! Great recipe tho, I will definetely make it again in the future!

Ameet Maturu said...

thank you for sharing this recipe! i was so pleased to find one that uses chickpea flour and also agave nectar. i substituted almond meal for whole wheat flour to make it gluten-free. and also added walnuts and raisins.

i've posted my version of the recipe on my blog, Rice of Life (http://www.riceoflife.com).

thanks for the inspiration!

Deb Schiff said...

Definitely have to try this one! Thanks for posting.