5.31.2008

Bean Sprouts!


I sprouted my own beans and am now addicted to sprouting! After hearing how easy it is to sprout beans, I decided to experiment with adzuki beans. Now I am sprouting another batch of adzuki beans, fava beans and lima beans! Needless to say, I’ve been eating bean sprouts on just about everything…I should admit I’ve even been eating them for breakfast. Since bean sprouts are a live food, they are packed with natural energy and are a great pick-me-up at any time of the day. It is also really fun to watch them grow; I must say that I was very excited at the first sight of their tiny white sprouting tails!

Sprouting beans is as easy as 1, 2, 3: 1 a plastic or glass container 2 cheese cloth (and a rubber band) 3 strainer. I used a cylindrical Tupperware container approx. 6 inches high and 4 inches in diameter. Shorter containers work just as well; I ran out of the 6 inch-ers and resorted to my smaller, 4 inch-high containers. You could even use a large glass if you’d like…

Before doing anything, rinse and soak the beans (dry beans, not canned!) in water overnight; cover the top of the container with a piece of cheesecloth and the rubber band. Pour in just enough beans to form about 2 bean-layers thick at the bottom of the container- if you use more than an inch or so of beans they will grow mold easily. The following day, strain and rinse the beans using the strainer, rinse out the container and pour the beans back into the container without adding any water (the beans will be damp but that is ok). Recover the container with the cheese cloth and store at room temperature out of direct sunlight. Repeat this process twice per day: remove the cheese cloth, rinse the beans in a strainer, rinse out the container, put the damp beans back in, and recover with cheese cloth. Make sure to do this at least twice per day; when I forgot and rinsed only once, I had moldy sprouts and had to start all over!

The adzuki beans took about 5 days to grow large sprouts. Once you have reached your desired sprouting length you can eat the beans at any time during this process, even if they just have little tails. The lima and fava beans were quick sprouters: I noticed their tiny tails after just the first day!

Happy sprouting!

(You do not have to limit your sprouting to beans; you can also sprout nuts and seeds!)

1 comment:

~Madeline~ said...

I love sprouting beans. I like to do a mixture of adzuki, garbanzo and lentils, Superb!